Thursday, July 4, 2013

It Began Here. #Wichita

I had one month to find schools for my 3 kids when I moved to Wichita in the summer of 2012.  I had heard a rumor that the Diocese of Wichita graciously and generously funds their Catholic schools; all of them, through the stewardship of Parishioners. Not really knowing what that meant, I marched into the office of Brandon Martin and Renee Riter to register for the Parish as a family and get my kids in the schools.  I truly believed I would write a check for the 2012-2013 school year but also get a “break” on tuition if I was a part of Blessed Sacrament and I continually tithed 10% of our income each week.  This was simply not to be.  There was something much bigger and better in store for the Marino family.

I grew up in Connecticut and moved around after college through work, the most recent city being Cincinnati, Ohio.  The Dioceses in each city I have lived in could learn a lot from Wichita. Catholic schools are being shut down everywhere. The cost of a Catholic school in Greenwich, Connecticut is around $28,000 a year.  Many families just cannot afford to put their children in Catholic schools.  But, here? The Catholic schools are THRIVING.   Since 2002, all of the Dioceses’ schools are without tuition.  11,000+ kids are being educated by 120,000 (and growing!) Parishioners.  This is incredible.

Renee Riter heard that I owned a social media company and asked if I would consider using my “talent” as my stewardship at Blessed Sacrament – keeping up with Facebook.  This, plus, our 8% tithing would cover my 10th, 8th and 4th grader tuitions.  I jumped at the chance – but not sure that I could live up to the expectations….in fact, I wasn't even sure what I would be posting about. Didn’t think I could ever live up to the families in this Parish.  NO way. 

I grew up Catholic.  But, the minute I went off to college, I turned from the church. Back and forth I would go – depending on what I ‘needed’ in my life.  Married.  Baptisms.  First Communions. Confirmations. Kids to CCD on Sundays. Maybe take them to Mass.   Never taking it seriously until my family went through hardship 5 years ago.  My home away from home became  in Cincinnati, Ohio and after my first confession since 2nd grade, my favorite Priest said, “Welcome home”. I haven’t looked back.

Still, not that religious, I am learning. I still fumble at what the readings mean, or what is meant to be learned. It’s very humbling. In the past year, I have put BS on  My mission statement (to myself!) is based on the fact that the Parishioners of Blessed Sacrament are already in love with BS. I want to reach people like ME, who left for one reason or another and are on the fence about coming back. I want to reach them through social media. OH!!  I want to move the Parishioners, but I want to make the person on the street, who may see us on any of the social platforms, stop in their tracks.  Think.  Stop in.  Test it out, again.  Meet Father Jirak or Father Green.  Fall in like and then in love. 

I have taken this “job” very seriously. I want to introduce every corner of this Parish to the world. If you are in charge of a Ministry, I want your picture.  I want your story.  I want your background. Just short blurbs to throw out there! I want people to feel that they “know” you and can shake your hand; join your group, simply from the smile in your picture.  I have been known to show up at your meetings, rosaries, Christmas parties and watch you smoking hams.  I have been called the “Parish Stalker” and that’s GOOD.  I want to showcase this Parish, and I want people to feel like they simply “MUST” be a part of our family. 


Join me, in lighting a fire in Wichita and beyond!  We are a lucky group of people and because I am new to town, I can see it and don’t take it for granted.  Not one day do I not thank God for putting me right in the middle of College Hill, Blessed Sacrament and all of you.  How very lucky my children are to be educated by such a fine group of people.  

No comments:

Post a Comment